The View From Here

I have practiced Family Law in Orange County for over 17 years. I’ve been a single Mother, raised teenagers, lead Girl Scouts, held a positions on the Little League Board and PTA when they were younger. I love politics and ran for political office in 2010. I'm currently elected to represent the 55th A.D. on the OCGOP Central Committee. I have learned from politics, litigation and parenting, that there is almost always some greater good to be pursued and fought for, and that there are many important things in life that can not be purchased. I have learned that my own voice is far too valuable to compromise. In my professional life, I have been with people in the midst of their most life altering and dark moments. I have traveled a path of transformation with them and right beside them. On this blog, I candidly share some of the mysteries that have been revealed to me in the context of my different roles in life. May these thoughts and experiences illuminate the paths of others as they have mine.

My words to live by:
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Never confuse reasonableness with weakness. Always believe you can lose. Judges are human and appeals are expensive. Peace is priceless.

“What if” and “If only” are phrases I work hard to keep out of my vocabulary. (Yesterday is forgiven, Tomorrow is not promised)

Judge not, that ye be not judged, Matthew 7:1. We each have our own journey.



Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Universal Laws of Sowing and Reaping

I had the distinct pleasure today of hearing Meg Whitman speak at a Town Hall meeting in Anaheim Hills. She is a persuasive and polished candidate, so very impressive and sincere at the same time. She spoke of the success of Ebay and graciously and confidently acknowledged that it is a unique company, she called it a “platform” that succeeded because of the users. She encouraged everyone to similarly, be a "part" of her effort to make California great again.

I share this philosophy of the impact of community efforts and that is why my children have always attended public school. I have always believed that the public school is what we make it. It is our school. I am fortunate to live in a community where most of the parents feel the same way, and due in large part to an active population of parents who care and volunteer and pay attention and cooperate with the administration, the schools in my community, all of them, are the top schools in the nation. I have subscribed to this philosophy and have seen it work. We invest in them and care for them because they are OUR schools, and the schools are great because we as a community are so invested.

A woman at the Meg Whitman town hall meeting reminded us all that we made history when we elected Governor Schwartzenager in the special election and encouraged us to make history again by electing Meg Whitman.

The point is, the government we have, is the government we have earned.

Many of us are unhappy with what we see. If you are one of those people, what are you doing about it?

I have been frustrated with the city government in Yorba Linda for some time now. I see people in elected positions, who have no vision and no direction. I see personalities that conflict, that are petty and vindictive and more concerned about personal retribution against other council members than the best interests of our community. I see councilmembers who can not make a decision, who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on feasibility studies over the past few years that have lead nowhere. I am frustrated that while the people of Yorba Linda were not paying attention, the needs of our families and businesses have been ignored. The discussions related to the redevelopment and Town Center focus on the aesthetics reflecting our rural and equestrian heritage, but no one has bothered to talk about the 6 massage parlors that are located in the redevelopment area. How does that fit into the “Land of Gracious Living” and why are we not addressing this preponderance of adult businesses while we theoretically remediate blight? Why do aesthetics and aspiring to have a rural "look" get top billing over the safety and wholesomeness of the environment we are providing for our kids?

I could not sit by any longer while our city operated in this fashion. I have jumped into the deep end of this local political pool head first in the hope that we will raise awareness and involve a large segment of our community. I want to see citizens of Yorba Linda involved and getting heard, and elected officials who are responsive to the needs of ALL of the citizens and not just the loud and boisterous few.

We will have the government that we have invested in. Do you want something better? I do. What will you invest?

Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. Galations 6:7

No comments:

Post a Comment