The View From Here

I have practiced Family Law in Orange County for over 17 years. I’ve been a single Mother, raised teenagers, lead Girl Scouts, held a positions on the Little League Board and PTA when they were younger. I love politics and ran for political office in 2010. I'm currently elected to represent the 55th A.D. on the OCGOP Central Committee. I have learned from politics, litigation and parenting, that there is almost always some greater good to be pursued and fought for, and that there are many important things in life that can not be purchased. I have learned that my own voice is far too valuable to compromise. In my professional life, I have been with people in the midst of their most life altering and dark moments. I have traveled a path of transformation with them and right beside them. On this blog, I candidly share some of the mysteries that have been revealed to me in the context of my different roles in life. May these thoughts and experiences illuminate the paths of others as they have mine.

My words to live by:
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Never confuse reasonableness with weakness. Always believe you can lose. Judges are human and appeals are expensive. Peace is priceless.

“What if” and “If only” are phrases I work hard to keep out of my vocabulary. (Yesterday is forgiven, Tomorrow is not promised)

Judge not, that ye be not judged, Matthew 7:1. We each have our own journey.



Monday, September 6, 2010

A Chicken in Every Pot (August 9, 2010)

One of my earliest memories of politics was when I was a little girl and George McGovern was running against Richard Nixon. I was watching McGovern on TV with my dad when he gave that “chicken in every pot” speech. I remember being so impressed and turning around to say to my dad, “You should vote for him! He will put a chicken in EVERY pot!”.

My father was pretty angry at the speech, and explained to me very emphatically that McGovern would not and could not do as he said, put a chicken in everyone’s pot. My father explained that McGovern did not have the money to do that. At that young age, I was bewildered as to why this powerful man on television would say something that was not true.

As I have observed in politics as an adult, idealism and enthusiasm often blur the lines between promises and reality. McGovern and his successors in the hand-out philosophy of government probably don’t intend to mislead voters, but they and the public following them, certainly fail to consider any of the consequences and costs of these platitudes and ideals.

We are at a crossroads in our governments, at the state and local, as well as the federal level. The platitudes and promises that the public bought at the last election have not only NOT ferreted out, but runaway spending is exacerbating and not helping the current issues facing our nation. We must realize this. We must face it and deal with it.

I am already seeing, shaping up for the November election, big promises of these proverbial chickens being plopped down into every single pot. It is a nice idea, but it can not be done. Will we continue to buy off on unreachable, destructive ideals, or will be take ahold of the harsh reality of preparing for our future?

The only solutions to our current issues are approaches that engender good old fashioned supply-side economics. Unless and until we take the governmental stranglehold off of business and let the free market do what it does best, we will remain in the same dismal cycle of a tax and spend downturn.

This is my platform, and I think it works even on a local level.

Spending reserves and providing handouts is never the answer and is getting us nowhere fast. We must encourage, strengthen and promote the businesses in our local community. This is how we create jobs, enhance revenue and facilitate a healthy economic and fiscal environment in our communities. Teach a man to fish.......

No comments:

Post a Comment